Lia Krucken is an interdisciplinary artist, working with Visual Arts, Art Activism and Social Design.
She lives and works in Berlin (Germany). Currently she is a post-doctoral fellow at the Arts College of Coimbra University. She investigates exile, migration and artistic processes in displacement.
She has been collaborating with research institutions in Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Italy, and USA. She is international associated at Plataforma Design, a Brazilian non-governamental organization for design, culture and biodiversity. She also collaborates with the studio Cocreando Srl for international research, strategy and design, based in Milan, Italy.
She holds a PhD in Innovation and Design (2005) at Federal University of Santa Catarina with studies at Politecnico di Milano (Italy), where she also developed a Post Doctorate (2010-2011) and has been collaborating as Visiting Professor. In her academic background she developed a strong link with sustainable development. The search of interdisciplinary and sensible approaches related to sustainability and “transition design” took her to join courses at Schumacher College, in Devon, south of England.
As professor, her focus is art & design for change in urban contexts. She teaches ‘Collaborative Design’, ‘Design for Sustainability’, ‘Territorial Projects’.
She had been teaching at the Design School – Minas Gerais State University since 2007, where she joined the Post Graduation Committee on Design, Innovation and Sustainability until 2015. In Brazil, Lia Krucken collaborates as lecturer at the Design School of Unisinos, the Innovation Center of the International Business School Fundação Dom Cabral, and Post-Graduate courses of Innovation Practices at the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.
She also has been collaborating with research institutions in Germany – as the Hafencity Hamburg University, in Hamburg, and The Do School, in Berlin – and the Parsons New School, USA, in the project Dream:In, that promotes open innovation and design strategies in India, USA and Brazil. As consultant, Lia Krucken has been working with institutions and communities since 2009. She has been running executive training and innovation projects at the Brazilian Innovation Agency – FINEP, Technology Based Enterprises Association of Santa Catarina, Agricultural Secretary of Santa Catarina, Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation – EMBRAPA, Federation of Industries of Minas Gerais, German Agency for Technical Cooperation GIZ/GFA and World Bank.
Awards, grants and fellowships
- Fellowship for research cooperation from DAAD – DEUTSCHER AKADEMISCHER AUSTAUSCHDIENST, 2014, Germany
- Post-doctoral fellowship supported by Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology/CNPq, 2010-2011, Italy
- Awards for Qualified Teaching Status (Professor for tenured position), 2009, State University of Minas Gerais – UEMG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Awards for Qualified Teaching Status (Professor for tenured position), 2008, State University of Santa Catarina – UDESC, Florianópolis, Brazil
- Doctoral fellowship supported by Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology/CNPq, 2003-2005, Italy
- Doctoral studies – AlBan –Scholarship for higher education for Latin America, European Union, 2003 (not used)
- Research projects supported by Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology, Brazilian Ministry of Culture, and European Community Research Programs
- Track chair at Cumulus Milan 2015 – The virtuous circle Conference, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Member of the “Latin Network of Design as a Process”, a network of researchers and practitioners from Latin American and European countries
- Researcher at “Design Research, Theory, and Culture Center”, State University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
- Researcher/Coordinator at “Design Strategies Network”
- Reviewer of Strategic Design Research Journal
- Reviewer of PAD – International Journal – Pages on Arts & Design
- Reviewer of International Books Series Design Territories – Allemandi Editore, Italy
- Reviewer of Books Series Advanced Studies in Design – State University of Minas Gerais
- Expert projects evaluator at Italian Ministry for University and Research/MIUR
- Expert projects evaluator at Brazilian Ministry for Education/CAPES
- Design and Communication support for CABRA – Brazilian Houses for Refugee Writers and Artists that is part of ICORN – the International Cities of Refuge Network since 2015
- Expert & Mentor at The DO School (Berlin), specially focusing in support the development of businesses with strong positive social impact since 2016
- Collaborator in the refugees welcome program ‘New Home Hamburg’ at the Freiwilligen Zentrum Hamburg since 2016
- Organization of the International Symposium on Migration, Displacement and Cultural Bonds, held by Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and State University of Rio de Janeiro in 2018